Using Ohm’s Law to Build a Voltage Divider
Download Student Worksheets RTF
- Understand and demonstrate the engineering design process
- Use Ohm's Law as a tool for engineering design.
- Use a digital multimeter to collect data.
- Analyze the electrical requirements of light emitting diodes (LED’s).
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- The engineering design process
- The relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit
- basic breadboard and measurement techniques
The activity consists of using a nine-volt battery to:
- Predict the output voltage of a simple voltage divider using Ohm’s Law and derived equations.
- Design, build, and demonstrate a simple voltage divider circuit.
- Measure and record the voltage produced and compare to the predicted value.
- Use the concepts and techniques to design a circuit for a high intensity light emitting diode.
Four teacher handouts are provided:
- Step By Step Guide
- Appendix 1: Equations for Series and Parallel Resistance
- Appendix 2: Matrix of Possible Voltage Outputs
- Appendix 3: Advanced Equations for Voltage Divider Ratios
Three student handouts are provided for advance review:
- Voltage Divider Information Sheet
- Resistor Color Codes
- Step By Step Procedures
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.comments powered by Disqus