Sugar Crystal Challenge
Download Student Worksheets RTF
- Learn about nanostructures.
- Learn about crystals.
- Learn about surface area.
- Learn about teamwork and working in groups.
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- surface area
- problem solving
Students learn about how surface area can change at the nanoscale. Students work in teams to explore different forms of sugar at different levels of coarseness. They then predict how sugar crystals grown from different sugar solutions might be different at the molecular level depending upon the coarseness of the original sugar. Student make predictions, conduct research, and present their proposal to the class.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheets (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.