Be A Scanning Probe Microscope
Download Student Worksheets RTF
- Learn about nanotechnology.
- Learn about scanning probe microscopes.
- Learn how engineering can help solve society's challenges.
- Learn about teamwork and problem solving.
As a result of this activity, students should develop an understanding of:
- scanning probe microscopes
Students explore how equipment developed by engineers allows us to "see" at the nanoscale. Students mimic the functionality of a scanning probe microscope by exploring the surface of several objects using a pencil as a probe while their eyes are closed. They visualize what is felt through the pencil sensor, draw the object on paper, share their observations with the class, and reflect on the experience.
- Teacher Resource Documents (attached)
- Student Resource Sheet (attached)
- Student Worksheet (attached)
Alignment to Curriculum Frameworks
Curriculum alignment sheet is included in PDF.comments powered by Disqus